Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sci-Fi Mashup

I was reading online over lunch and I came across this post. In it, the author argues that sci-fi games suffer because you can't draw from many sources and make it feel right. I would like to go on record that Dave's "Kingdom of Orion" campaign from 2006 did just that which is why I want to go back to it. He had Jedi and armored troopers fighting off Cylons and Sith. It was awesome!

In retrospect, perhaps it was because he *also* threw in cowboys and indians, along with a healthy dose of feudalism that made for interesting play. Also there were monkeys. So many, many, monkeys. I'm surprised we didn't bring bananas to the game.

For those of you who played the campaign, what was your favorite part of the Knights of Orion?

2 comments:

  1. I didn't play in that campaign myself, but I remember playing in another campaign years ago that did actually draw from a bunch of different sources. We had the Enterprise (basically) with a crew made up of various characters that were drawn from Star Trek, Star Wars, Farscape, and Babylon 5. We fought against the Empire, Aliens, Borg, and the bugs from Starship Troopers. It was a mashup the DM came created out of a very rough skill system, and whatever didn't fit we just winged it. It ended up fizzling out, but we had fun for a few weeks, and that was most important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my favorite part was the bad guys, who were mostly inspired by the miniatures I could find.

    The Mavorians "Ak-Ak-Ak!"
    Spankies, with their big black eyes and anal probes
    The Krylons and Kill Bots

    and who can forget the dreaded Skull-Trons, upside down brass rectangular flowerpots with paper skulls glued on the front?

    ReplyDelete