Here's how I'd like to modify them and why
- One Session=One Month: our first three sessions all took place within 5th month of 1173, in that time we had Find that Crab, Baldpate Beacon, Smirkenburg Mines 1-2, and Caer Smirken level 1, adventures, and they ran in pretty much a random order. Downtime activities got short shift, wear and tear wasn't appropriate because half of the characters didn't have any money and so forth. So, I think that going forward every game session we hold will represent all of the dangerous exciting action that takes place in one calendar month (unless an adventure ends unfinished). So, all characters will have to pay maintenance and face wear and tear at the beginning of the session, even if they are not active. All characters can go shopping, even if they aren't active. And the non-active characters can count on 28 days of downtime.
- Free Money: I propose that any character who begins session 4 with less than 100gp, will have his total raised to 100 gp, in order to represent downtime and to make it possible to pay some maintenance and do some shopping, correct for wear and tear. This will be a one-time thing, except if a new character enters play in the future, he will start his first month with 100gp.
- Downtime: I'm going to try to get the downtime rules worked into a 1-page summary, along with maintenance costs and wear and tear, so it will be easy to reference. Doing Downtime at Dinner will then be easier to handle with quick reference and 28 days guaranteed.
- Real Estate: I want to get a catalogue for buying houses, forts, stockades etc., put together. I think that the PHB/DMG versions are a bit off, and there needs to be some accounting for location and so forth.
- Sailing Home: need to codify more clearly sailing to the other continents, since this is how serious shopping trips will happen. Good availability in Newport is limited and haphazard, being a small, frontier town. With 1-month sessions, sailing home becomes a real option.